Natural and herbal remedies for the treatment of menopause.
I received my order yesterday, which is FANTASTIC! I also wanted to say thank you. I sent an email to Ask our Experts, and I was surprised at the speed [of the response]. Thanks so much for the excellent service!
–Rachel Irving, Singapore
What is Menopause?
Although it may sometimes feel like it, menopause is not a disease or an ailment – it is a natural transition that occurs for all women when they reach a particular age. Generally occurring in women between the ages of 45 and 55, menopause is the complete cessation of a menstrual cycle where the body goes through a number of hormonal changes and the ovaries stop releasing eggs for possible fertilization.
The phase of menopause when these changes begin is known as perimenopause. It is during this phase where women experience a number of physical and emotional symptoms such as hot flashes, mood swings and irregular or abnormal periods.
These changes are often frustrating and difficult for many women and it is a transitional phase that may last anywhere between a few months and few years. Once a woman has stopped having her period for 12 consecutive months, perimenopause is considered to be over and pregnancy is no longer possible.
Symptoms of menopause tend to vary between women and may include any of the following in varying degrees:
- hot flashes
- vaginal dryness
- loss of libido
- mood swings
- insomnia or difficulty sleeping resulting in fatigue
- difficulty concentrating
- hair loss
- irregular or abnormal menstrual bleeding
- changes in skin and hair
- achy joints
- frequent urination
Help for Menopause
While menopause is a natural and expected process for every woman, the associated symptoms can be difficult and trying on both physical and emotional levels. Many women are now turning to the use of natural herbal and homeopathic remedies to counteract these symptoms and nature has a medicine chest of ingredients that suit this purpose. Black cohosh is one such herbal ingredient that is well know for its ability to support estrogen balance in the body and treat a number of menopause related symptoms such as hot flashes, mood swings, and vaginal dryness.
Other highly successful ingredients for the treatment of menopausal symptoms include pasque flower which supports female health and sooths the nervous system, and Dong Quai which works to support the balance of female hormones while treating many of the symptoms related to PMS and menopause.
More Information on Menopause
Tips for coping with menopause:
While the symptoms of menopause may leave you feeling desperate and frustrated, rest assured that it is a temporary phase that will pass in time. In the meanwhile there are a few self-care tips that you can use to help relieve some of the troublesome symptoms.
- Keep hot flashes in mind when dressing each day. Choose loose fitting and breathable clothing, and in cold weather dress in layers that can be quickly removed when you suddenly get hot.
- Avoid any triggers that might prompt a hot flash such as hot drinks, spicy food and stress.
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep. If insomnia is a problem then cut down of caffeine, make sure you get a daily dose of exercise and try a few deep breathing relaxation techniques.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet with ample fruit, vegetables and fiber. Consider eating smaller meals at more regular intervals to reduce the sensation of lower abdominal bloating.
- Limit you intake of salt and salty foods to reduce bloating and fluid retention.
- Add Omega-3 fatty acids and calcium to your daily supplements if you are not getting enough of these in your diet.
- Stop smoking naturally! Smoking has been linked to the early-onset menopause, greater intensity of menopause symptoms, and the incidence of osteoporosis after menopause.
- Look after yourself. Find a quiet place that you can unwind, relax and come to a place of peace. Whether it is a quiet room in which to meditate, read, pursue a hobby, or simply your bathroom where you can de-“stress”:all-natural-stress-relief-info.html in a hot bath.